TVSS units in and by themselves do not save energy. It is the cause and effect principal that saves energy. UtiliGuard TVSS Power Quality System causes changes to the power in the electrical grid and equipment of a facility. The effect is the improved performance of the equipment that saves the energy in the facility.
UtiliGuard TVSS Power Quality System causes changes by taking out harmful and destructive transients and harmonics in the electrical grid that affects the performance of equipment, lighting, electronics, motors etc. The effect is that there is less resistance and heat in the electric grid and equipment. Every thing runs cooler and more efficiently requiring less power. That’s how energy is saved. This is undisputable.
HOW TO TEST A TVSS UNIT TO SHOW IT IS WORKING
Some, out of a lack of knowledge or to intentionally deceive, will want to test a TVSS unit by running power through it and putting a KW meter on the other end to demonstrate that the TVSS unit doesn’t save energy. This test will never show energy savings because:
- A common misperception is that a TVSS unit has current or power flowing through it. A TVSS unit does not carry power or a load through itself.
- A UtiliGuard TVSS traps and suppresses transient voltages then transfers them out and away from the building as well as eliminate harmonics.
- Transient voltages, electrical events and harmonics create resistance and heat that can cause instant failure or slowly degrade equipment over time causing premature failure and added maintenance, repair and downtime. Excess resistance and heat cause equipment to use more power.
- When you eliminate resistance and heat, equipment operates more efficiently and cooler. When equipment runs cooler and efficiently it uses less power to operate. It saves energy. Most power companies, electrical engineers etc. will quickly agree with this as undisputable.
The proper way to show that a UtiliGuard TVSS Power Quality System is working is to test the equipment down line of the UtiliGuard before and after installation. It’s the cooler running and more efficient equipment that saves the energy, not the TVSS unit itself. The UtiliGuard TVSS Power Quality System caused the positive effect on the grid and equipment. And so it is the grid and equipment that saves the energy.
- It has been stated that if you reduce the operating temperature of a motor by 10 degrees you can double the life of the motor.
- After UtiliGuard TVSS application to a motor we have seen operating temperatures reduced from 10 to as much as 30 degrees. In overloaded and hard working facilities we often see a temperature decrease in the breaker panels themselves.
- After UtiliGuard TVSS application to the entire facility, covering all panels, sub panels, branch locations etc. we commonly see a reduction in lighting and ballast replacement, a reduction in equipment maintenance, repair and replacement by 30% to50% and in some cases over 75%. Down time can be reduced or eliminated.
WHY DOES IT TAKE A “POWER QUALITY SYSTEM” TO SAVE ENERGY?
Another misperception is that “one” TVSS unit by itself mounted on “one” panel will save large amounts of energy.
Electricity has the same properties as water when it comes to pressure and resistance. Your electric grid and all your equipment in your facility is just like a large network of garden hoses or sprinkler system for your yard. If you have 35 leaks and plug one, you save a little bit of water. It probably won’t even be enough to affect the meter. If you plug all 35 leaks you save a lot of water, many hundreds of gallons over a period of time. You will now save enough to substantially affect the charges on your water bill.
This principle is why we apply a UtiliGuard TVSS Power Quality System unit to every panel, sub panel, branch location, major pieces of equipment etc. We are plugging all the leaks. The cumulative effect will show substantial reduction in energy usage.
WHO CAN HELP YOU AFTER THE POWER COMES THROUGH THE METER?
The power company does a great job of delivering power to the building. However this is where their job ends. They don’t have anything to do with your power after it goes through the meter.
We have become the experts at cleaning up your power for efficient use inside your facility. Every facility needs a Power Quality System working from the inside because that’s where over 80% of the electrical events, transient voltages, harmonics etc. originate. The problems are created by your own equipment, even your neighbor down the street, not the power company.
A good ground to earth is the highway we use to send harmful electrical surge events and transients out of and away from your building and equipment.
Often we hear, yes but we bond our equipment to building steel or the water main, that’s the best ground you can get. Building steel and water mains, the ones that are still metal, are good equipment grounds so no one gets a shock from the machinery. However, with this required and necessary practice we are re-circulating surge events and transients through the building steel back to another panel then back to other pieces of equipment.
By creating a very low path of resistance out and away from the building into a “ground to earth” we remove the damage causing surge events and transients from the equipment, electric grid and the building steel.
We must maintain a low resistance path out of and away from the building because transients and surge events can be as quick as a billionth of a second and as high as many hundreds of volts. Our UtiliGuard Power Quality System clamps in 85 trillionths of a second and as low as 132 volts on a 120 volt line. When you clamp that fast and that low you have to have as little resistance as possible.
Although code requires ground rods to be 25 ohms or less in resistance, almost all electricians have never checked the resistance of a facility’s ground rod. Code says they don’t have to. Around 85% that we test and work on are inadequate. We have found many to be up in the hundreds of ohms resistance. Because our UtiliGuard Power Quality System clamps so fast and so low we provide your facility with a pathway that will have around 10 ohms or less resistance.